First 100 Days
Kidney Cancer New Pathway Discovery Project:
- Obtained necessary approvals from both IRB and UT Southwestern Tissue Resource to begin the analysis of banked human renal cell carcinoma specimens.
- Received Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center support.
- Samuel performs valuable in silico analysis from publicly available databases.
- Agreement on MTA with Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
- Silvia begins working at the bench on day 13.
- Received Endowed Scholar Award.
- NIH KO8 Award transfer initiated.
- Letter of intent submitted for Basil O'Connor Starter Scholar Award.
UT Southwestern Mission:
- All personnel complete necessary training (safety, radioactivity, mouse handling…).
- Samuel is awarded a postdoctoral fellowship.
- Silvia submits proposal.
- Yeny and Nick join the lab.
- Several candidates for postdoctoral positions interviewed.
- Equipment and supplies arrive from Boston.
- Lab space remodeling is completed.
- Internet ports and phone lines activated.
- Completed outfitting of the lab with fridges, freezers, microfuges, PCR machine, NanoDrop spectrophotometer, FPLC machine, hypoxia chamber, computers and printers.
- Radioactive sublicense obtained.
- Silvia compiles information for electronic databases.
- Samuel establishes lab intranet.
- Plasmid database and various other electronic platforms created by Samuel.
- Yeny generates electronic inventories for cell lines, primers, and antibodies.
- Nick adapts mouse database with capabilities for transferring information onto mouse cage cards.
- Repositories created for centralized access to plasmids, glycerol stocks, primers, cell lines, and antibodies.
- Yeny performs a cost assessment of frequently ordered reagents.
- Mouse strains from Dana-Farber arrive and successfully go through quarantine.
- Animal protocol is approved.
- Nick organizes mouse colony and implements PCR strategies for genotyping.
Lab Social Activities:
- Lab hosts party for Department of Developmental Biology. A baby-shower is organized for Silvia. Celebration at Café Madrid of Yeny and Nick's joining the lab. Celebration of Samuel's fellowship award. First bowling outing at Main Event.
- Nick and Jim volunteer at the United to Serve T.J. Rusk Middle School health fair.
- For Patients