Medical Student Research Fellowship for Summer 2011
Mentor: Dan M. Meyer, MD
Department: Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
Room number: HA9.134
Mail Code: 8879
Phone number: 214.645.7731
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Project title: Mitral Valve Surgery Study/Results with mitral valve surgery in patients with pulmonary hypertension
Human subjects IRB approved project number (where applicable): 092010-195
Animal subjects IRB approved project number (where applicable): NA
Project Type (patient-based research, animal-based research, or basic research; this characterization is only to permit a general classification for grouping similar types of projects): patient-based research
Brief Description of Project:
Surgical results of patients with pulmonary hypertension who undergo mitral valve surgery compared to patients who do not have pulmonary hypertension who undergo mitral valve surgery.
Previous Research Activities with Medical Students:
Previous Publications with Medical Students:
1. WheatleyG, Yancy CW, Wait MA, Meyer DM, Jessen ME, Paul MC, Kaiser P, Bhojani RA, Drazner M, Ring WS, DiMaio JM. Renal function is preserved following heart transplantation using IL-2 receptor blockade. J of Heart and Lung Transplantation. Volume 23, Issue 2, Supplement 1, February 2004, Page S140.
2. Bhojani RA, Rosenbaum DH, Dikmen E, Paul MC, Atkins BZ, Zonies D, Estrera AS, Wait MA, Meyer DM, Jessen ME, DiMaio JM. Contemporary Assessment of Laryngotracheal Trauma. J Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. Volume 130, Issue 2, August 2005, 426-432.
3. Rosenbaum DH, Bhojani RA, Dikmen E, Paul MC, Wait MA, Meyer DM, Jessen ME, Yancy CW, Ring WS, DiMaio JM. Routine chest CT screening in high risk cardiac transplant patients may improve survival. J of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2005; 24(12): 2043-2047.
4. Rosenbaum DH, Adams BC, Mitchell JD, Jessen ME, Paul MC, Kaiser PA, Pappas PA, Meyer DM, Wait MA, Drazner MH, Yancy CW, Ring WS, DiMaio JM. Effects of early steroid withdrawal after heart transplantation. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2006 Aug;82(2):637-44.
5. Rosenbaum DH, Mitchell JD, Adams BC, Paul MC, Kaiser PA, Meyer DM, Jessen ME, Wait MA, Rosenberg PB, Drazner MH Yancy CW, Ring WS, DiMaio JM. Does basiliximab decrease acute rejection and improve renal function in cardiac transplant recipients at mid-term follow-up. J Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2006 Feb;25(2): Supplement 1:166-67.