Medical Student Research Fellowship for Summer 2012
Mentor: Emmanouil S. Brilakis, MD, PhD
Room number: 5B-670 (VAMC)
Mail Code: 111A
Phone number: 214-857-1547
Project title: AngiographiC Evaluation of the Everolimus-Eluting Stent in Chronic Total Occlusions - the ACE-CTO Study (NCT01012869)
Human subjects IRB approved project number (where applicable): 09-070
Animal subjects IRB approved project number (where applicable): NA
Project Type (patient-based research, animal-based research, or basic research; this characterization is only to permit a general classification for grouping similar types of projects)
Brief Description of Project:
This is a single-center, single-arm, non-randomized, open label, prospective that is evaluating the 8-month angiographic and 12-month clinical outcomes after implantation of the everolimus-eluting stents in chronic total occlusions. The study entails detailed imaging of the treated coronary arteries, using intravascular ultrasonography and optical coherence tomography.
Previous Research Activities or Publications with Medical Students:
- Ramesh S, Papayannis A, Abdel-karim AR, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES. In Vivo comparison of Fourier-Domain Optical Coherence Tomography and Intravascular Ultrasonography. J Invas Cardiol 2012; in press
- Raghunathan D, Abdel-karim AR, Papayannis AC, daSilva M, Jeroudi O, Rangan BV, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES. Relation between the Presence and Extent of Coronary Lipid Core Plaques Detected by Near-Infrared Spectroscopy Following Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Am J Cardiol 2011;107:1613-8
- Banerjee S, Badhey N, Lichtenwalter C, Varghese C, Brilakis ES. Relationship of walking impairment and ankle-brachial index assessments with peripheral arterial translesional pressure gradients. J Invas Cardiol. 2011;23:352-6.
- Jeroudi O, Abdel-Karim AR, Michael TT, Lichtenwalter C, de Lemos JA, Obel O, Addo TA, Roesle M, Haagen D, Rangan BV, Raghunathan D, DaSilva M, Saeed B, Bissett JK, Sachdeva R, Voudris VV, Karyofillis P, Kar B, Rossen J, Fasseas P, Berger PB, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES. Paclitaxel-Eluting Stents Reduce Neointimal Hyperplasia Compared to Bare Metal Stent in Saphenous Vein Grafts: Results from the SOS (Stenting of Saphenous Vein Grafts) Trial. EuroIntervention 2011:7:948-954.
- Wood FO, Badhey N, Garcia B, Abdel-karim AR, Maini B, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES. Analysis of Saphenous Vein Graft Lesion Composition Using Near-infrared spectroscopy and Intravascular Ultrasonography with Virtual Histology. Atherosclerosis 2010;212:528-533
- Garcia BA, Wood F, Cipher D, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES. Reproducibility of Near-Infrared Spectroscopy for the Detection of Lipid Core Coronary Plaques and Observed Changes After Coronary Stent Implantation. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2010;76:359–365
- Boatman D, Saeed B, Varghese I, Peters CT, Daye J, Haider A, Roesle M, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES. Prior coronary artery bypass graft surgery patients undergoing diagnostic coronary angiography have multiple uncontrolled coronary artery disease risk factors and high risk for cardiovascular events. Heart Vessels 2009;24:241-246
- Varghese I, Boatman DM, Peters CT, Daye J, Haider A, Roesle M, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES. Impact on Contrast, Fluoroscopy, and Catheter Utilization From Knowing the Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Anatomy Before Diagnostic Coronary Angiography.Am J Cardiol 2008; 101:1729-1732
- Daye J, Boatman D, Peters C, Varghese I, Haider A, Roesle M, Jessen ME, DiMaio JM, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES. Perioperative Risk of Patients Undergoing Noncardiac Surgery After Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery. J Investig Med 2008;56:878-881
- Iturbe JM, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES. Exertional dyspnea due to spontaneous coronary artery dissection in a 55-year-man.Heart 2007;93:1212