Medical Student Research Fellowship for Summer 2012
Mentor: Glenn Flores, MD, Professor and Director, Division of General Pediatrics
Room number: E3.514
Mail Code: 9063
Phone number: 214-648-3405
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Project title: Pediatric health services research/community-based research
Human subjects IRB approved project number (where applicable): n/a
Animal subjects IRB approved project number (where applicable): n/a
Project Types: Pediatric health services research/community-based research
Brief Description of Project:
We welcome medical students with a strong research interest in one or more of the following areas:
- Improving the health and healthcare of underserved children, including those who are poor, uninsured, racial/ethnic minorities, immigrants, facing language barriers, and have special healthcare needs
- Racial/ethnic disparities in children's health and healthcare
- Community-based interventions for improving the health and healthcare of underserved children
- Insuring uninsured children
- Testing innovative interventions for chronic disease management
- Language, culture, and healthcare
- Latino children's health
- Preventing pediatric hospitalizations
- Factors that delay hospital discharges for children; family-centered rounds (co-mentor: Dr. Vineeta Mittal)
- Prevention of youth violence and bullying (co-mentor: Dr. Rashmi Shetgiri)
- Preventing teen pregnancy; the HPV vaccine; and use of text messages for adolescent outpatient appointment reminders (co-mentor: Dr. May Lau)
- Childhood obesity (co-mentor: Dr. Christy Turer)
The student will be the lead investigator on the summer project of their choosing. Under the close supervision of Dr. Flores and a junior faculty mentor, the student's role will include conceptualizing the project, reviewing the literature, devising study instruments, data collection and analysis, writing up the findings, presenting the findings at national medical conferences, and submitting the findings for publication in a peer-reviewed medical journal (as the lead author or co-author).
David Valadez will be expected to write the questions that we will ask the parents. Qualitative study for the parents of Latino high school students; barriers & facilitators for entering the health care professions.
Previous Medical Student Research Activities, Presentations, Publications, Grants, and Awards:
Dr. Flores has mentored 22 medical students over the past 17 years, and their projects have resulted in seven platform (oral) presentations and 14 posters at national meetings, six published articles, four grants, nine awards, and one honors thesis. These students include:
- Jessie Zhao. “How Healthcare Professionals can be Most Helpful in Communicating with Asian-American Adolescents about Sex, Contraception, Sexually Transmitted Infections, and Pregnancy Prevention: A Qualitative Study.” Platform presentations at the 2012 Pediatric Academic Societies’ Meeting and Southern SPR meeting. Poster at 2012 Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine (SAHM) annual meeting. 2012 APA Research Award for Best Abstract by a Student. Best Poster Award for UTSW 50th Medical Student Research Forum.
- Roger Romero. “A Qualitative Study of Latin Teens' Perspectives on Careers in Medicine and Enrichment Programs.” Poster presentation at the 2012 Pediatric Academic Societies’ Meeting.
- David Vermette. “Access Barriers to Healthcare for Children of Iraqi Refugee Families Post-Resettlement.” Poster presentation at the 2012 Pediatric Academic Societies’ Meeting.
- Megha Mehta. "What Parents of Overweight Children Want: A Qualitative Study of Parental Expectations Regarding Weight Management in Overweight Children." Award: 49th Annual Medical Student Research Forum poster competition.
- RuiJen Chen. "Break it Up! Parental Attitudes and Beliefs on Youth Violence and Its Prevention." Poster presentation: 2011 Pediatric Academic Societies' Meeting, Denver.
- Alexis Barina. "Raising Bilingual Children: A Qualitative Study of Parental Attitudes and Beliefs." Poster presentation: 2011 Pediatric Academic Societies' Meeting, Denver.
- David Leverenz. "Why Are So Many Eligible Children Still Uninsured? The Perspectives of Parents of Uninsured African-American Children." Award: Runner-Up, UTSW 48th Annual Medical Student Research Forum
- Benjamin Martin. "Do Family-Centered Rounds (FCRs) Improve Parent Satisfaction, Communication, Co-ordination of Care, Patient Safety, Outcomes, Hand-Offs, and Trainees Education? A Qualitative Study of Parents of Hospitalized Children."
- Michael Bradshaw. "Language Barriers to Prescriptions for Patients with Limited English Proficiency: A Survey of Pharmacists." Grant: NHLBI summer student research. Platform presentations: 2006 meetings of Pediatric Academic Societies, AcademyHealth, and American Pub Health Association. Award: American Public Health Association Medical Care Section Student Paper Award. Publication: Pediatrics 2007;120:e225-e235 (access now at: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/120/2/e225 ). Granted MD degree with Honors.
- Jennifer Rabke-Verani. "The importance of cultural and linguistic issues in the emergency care of children." Publication: Pediatric Emergency Care 2002;18:271-284 (access now at: http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.5.1a/ovidweb.cgi?WebLinkFrameset=1&S=COAAFPMNHODDCMHGNCALBAIBFKCHAA00&returnUrl=ovidweb.cgi%3f%26Full%2bText%3dL%257cS.sh.15.16%257c0%257c00006565-200208000-00010%26S%3dCOAAFPMNHODDCMHGNCALBAIBFKCHAA00&directlink=http%3a%2f%2fgraphics.tx.ovid.com%2fovftpdfs%2fFPDDNCIBBAHGHO00%2ffs047%2fovft%2flive%2fgv024%2f00006565%2f00006565-200208000-00010.pdf&filename=The+importance+of+cultural+and+linguistic+issues+in+the+emergency+care+of+children.&pdf_key=FPDDNCIBBAHGHO00&pdf_index=/fs047/ovft/live/gv024/00006565/00006565-200208000-00010 )
- Mina Lee. "Pediatricians' attitudes, beliefs, and practices regarding clinical practice guidelines: A national survey." Platform presentation: 1998 Pediatric Academic Societies' Meeting, New Orleans. Publication: Pediatrics 2000;105:496-501.
- Luis Vega. "Systematic review of access barriers to healthcare for Latino children." Publication: Family Medicine 1998;30:196-205 (access now at: http://www.stfm.org/fmhub/Fullpdf/march98/CIIMH2.pdf ).
- Anne Berry. "Non-urgent emergency department use by children." Grant: American Pediatric Society/Society for Pediatric Research Summer Student Research Award. Platform presentation: American Public Health Assoc. Poster presentations: 2006 Pediatric Academic Societies & AcademyHealth Meetings. Award: American Public Health Association Medical Care Section Student Paper Award. Publication: Academic Pediatrics 2008;8:360-7 (access now at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=MImg&_imagekey=B7XMV-4V4771P-81&_cdi=29680&_user=38572&_orig=browse&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2008&_sk=999919993&view=c&wchp=dGLzVzz-zSkWz&md5=b7dbf622ccd4048c0defbe73f584ddd0&ie=/sdarticle.pdf
- Kyle Jones. "Medicaid Budget Cuts: Will They Adversely Impact the Health of Medicaid-Covered Children?" Grant: Wisconsin Medical Society Foundation Summer Fellowship in Government and Community Service. Poster: 2007 AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting. Media Coverage: WITI Channel 6 Fox News TV (featured health segment). Publication: Journal of the National Medical Association 2009; 2009;101:213-222 (access now at: http://www.nmanet.org/images/uploads/Documents/OC213.pdf )
- David Coons. "Perception vs. Reality: Overweight in Latino Children and Latino Mothers' Misclassification of Children's Weight Status." Poster: 2007 Pediatric Academic Societies' meeting.
- Damon Schroer. "Reasons for Prolonged Bottle-Feeding and Iron-Deficiency Among Mexican-American Toddlers: An Ethnographic Study." Grant: NHLBI summer student research. Poster: 2007 Pediatric Academic Societies' meeting.
- Jared Fixmer. "Health and Use of Health Services among Immigrant Children." Platform presentation: American Public Health Assoc. Posters: 2006 meetings of Pediatric Academic Societies and AcademyHealth. Award: American Public Health Association Medical Care Section Student Paper Award.
- Kathryn Webber. "A Randomized Trial Comparing the Effectiveness of Community Swimming and Golf Programs in Improving Fitness, Symptoms, and Quality of Life in Children with Asthma." Platform presentation: 2003 Regional Ambulatory Pediatric Association meeting. Poster: 2003MCW Medical Student Research Day.
- Larry Xanthopoulos and Kruti Acharya. "The impact of transportation barriers on children's health care: An overlooked cause of missed medical visits." Platform presentation: 1999 Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, San Francisco.
- Rachel Vespole and Stephanie Hsieh. "Shots in the dark: Are parents learning enough about side effects of their child's immunizations? Poster: 1998 American Public Health Association Meeting, Washington, DC.